Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Cleaning Cookware and other Cookware topics.
Stainless steel cookware is by far the easiest-to-care-for cookware, however it has no non-stick properties whatsoever, so be prepared should the occasional scorching happen.
Sometimes stainless steel can be susceptible to discolorations from cooking highly acidic foods or heat marks on the exterior can show up from cooking with a scalding temperature. Here's how to keep your stainless steel cookware “stainless” for years to come:
• Always wash stainless steel pots and pans immediately in hot, sudsy water using a nylon scrubber or soft brush.
• Never use steel wool, alcohol, abrasive cleaners, bleach, oven cleaners or metal implements to scrape stainless steel.
• Stainless steel pans may be washed in the dishwasher. Always, follow your manufacturer's instructions however.
• No matter how you wash, always dry immediately to avoid water spots and stains.
• To remove heat marks or discolorations, make a paste of non-abrasive stainless steel cookware cleaner mixed with water on a soft cloth. Rub with a circular motion to remove.