Cladding Makes Cookware More Efficient, Beautiful
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about All Clad Cookware and other Cookware topics.
What are the differences in the different All-Clad cookware lines?
"Cladding" is the metallurgic term for combining metals to take advantage of the positive cooking properties of each material, like in All-Clad cookware. For example, stainless steel is an excellent material for the interior lining of a pot because it is easy to clean, requires no special utensils and is an affordable material. On its own, stainless steel is not as heavy as some other metals, so hot-spots and burnt food can occur. But, when it's combined with a layer of copper, or a copper core as in All-Clad Copper-Core and All-Clad Cop-R-Chef cookware, its heat conduction is improved, and the hot spot issue is solved. Other metals can also be combined for beauty on the outside and easy care, like brushed aluminum or durable hard-anodized black aluminum or even copper. Here are some of the most popular lines of cladded All-Clad cookware:
- All-Clad Mc2: This is a 3-ply cladding of stainless steel interior with an aluminum core for even heat distribution, updated by combining it with a brushed aluminum alloy on the exterior.
- All-Clad LTD: Another 3-ply cladding of a stainless steel interior with the aluminum core, surrounded by stylish black hard-anodized aluminum exterior for durability and easy clean-up. The hard-anodized aluminum exterior will not scratch, chip or peel.
- All-Clad Copper Core: This is a patented technique using a 5-ply cladding process. A stainless steel interior surface for ease of clean up is combined with a solid copper core bonded to aluminum to enhance heat distribution while reducing weight. The outer material is easy-care stainless steel with an accent of the beautiful copper core showing through and a heat choke added to its solid cast stainless steel handles.
- All-Clad Cop-R-Chef: This set shows off the warmth of its classic copper beauty on the outside (you'll need to polish this or let it antique), now combined in a 3-ply cladding of an aluminum core for even heat distribution and a stainless steel interior for easy clean-up.
- All-Clad Stainless: Even the basic, classic stainless steel features 3-ply construction with an aluminum core, stainless interior for easy clean-up and hand-polished, mirror-finished exterior. Magnetic stainless steel makes this the ideal cookware for induction cooktops.
These are premium cookware sets and you can tell by the attention to detail and the lifetime warranty. All lines feature stainless steel cast handles with high-strength stainless steel rivets.