Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Cookware Sets and other Cookware topics.
Cast iron has a solid, heavy feel that has withstood the test of time when it comes to cooking. In the past, iron was a readily available resource cast into pots and pans that was virtually indestructible. The cookware could also do double-duty as a weapon! Now, a cast iron cookware set is forged to perfection, sometimes left raw for you to season, sometimes coated with state-of-the art colored enamels. Either way, there are proven benefits to investing in a cast iron cookware set.
Benefits of cast iron cookware:
• Heavy pots stay put on the stove. Provide superior heat distribution.
• Heavy lids, sealing steam and juices for lower cooking temperatures.
• If seasoned, the surface has non-stick properties that lower your chances of a burnt-on mess.
• Do not have to be washed with soap and water if used properly.
Cast iron cookware is for cooks who:
• Love the heavy feel and solid old-fashioned look.
• Like to show off their country kitchen!
• Don't mind the seasoning technique.
Absolutely! Cast iron is the best. You can clean it with a sandblaster if you want to, and it heats very evenly. You also get a good workout by lifting the cookware. Lots of people buy cast iron, and then decide to go with cookware that is lighter and prettier, making used cookware extremely inexpensive.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|